Discover one of the world’s last wild places during this 12-day expedition onboard the MS Seaventure to the South Shetland Islands and Antarctica. Cruise along the rugged coastline of the majestic Shetland Islands and explore the iceberg-dotted bays of the Antarctic Peninsula while getting up close to seals, whales, and a variety of penguin species. You will be immersed in the continent’s rich past during visits to history landing sites and learn about the vital research being conducted here at active scientific bases.
Visiting a Penguin Colony in Antarctica
Images & Videos
Fly into Ushuaia at a time that suits you, with a full day up your sleeve to accommodate any flight delays or cancellations. Take time to relax and overcome any jet lag at the beautiful Arakur Resort & Spa, which will be your base for the next two nights.
Today, you will have a full day to explore Ushuaia and its surroundings, whether you want to delve into the local culture at the city’s museums or shop for genuine Argentinian leather products in its markets. You may also opt to just relax at the resort before joining your fellow travelers for an optional briefing in the evening.
Embarkation in Ushuaia
After a morning spent as you please, either in Ushuaia or at the resort, you’ll be transferred to the MS Seaventure in the mid-afternoon. Settle into your cabin and meet your Expedition Team during an orientation briefing before enjoying the Captain’s welcome dinner as we sail across the Drake Passage.
Separating South America's Cape Horn from the South Shetland Islands, the Drake Passage is our setting for the next two days. Relax on deck while watching seabirds as they follow the ship or get hands-on while participating in our Citizen Science program. A series of engaging lectures will also be held by our team of Polar Experts, offering an in-depth look at everything from Antarctica’s wildlife to its history of human exploration.
South Shetland Islands
Today will be spent exploring the magnificent South Shetland Islands, a group of Antarctic islands that are renowned for their natural beauty. As we cruise along the rugged coastline, you’ll have the opportunity to spot penguins and seals playing in the waters, as well as a variety of seabirds soaring high above.
Over the next three days, you’ll be treated to the experience of a lifetime as we navigate the sparkling bays, harbors, and channels of the Antarctic Peninsula. In addition to coming face-to-face with the continent’s incredible wildlife, you’ll also have the opportunity to visit several historic landing sites and learn about the research being conducted at Antarctica’s active scientific bases.
With some exceptional memories made, it’s time to make the return journey across the mighty Drake Passage en route back to Ushuaia. Celebrate your adventure during a slideshow featuring some of the highlights from the trip and say farewell to your fellow travelers during a final dinner together.
Disembarkation in Ushuaia
After arriving back in Ushuaia in the early morning, it’s time to disembark the ship and continue your onwards travel. You may opt to catch a flight back to Buenos Aires the same day or spend additional time in Ushuaia to discover the spectacular natural beauty of Patagonia.
Dates & Rates
|Dates||Adult (USD)||Child (USD)|
|Nov 28, 2022 to Dec 09, 2022 |
Rates vary by cabin, please inquire for exact pricing
|Feb 15, 2023 to Feb 26, 2023 |
Rates vary by cabin, please inquire for exact pricing
Activities During Voyage
- Kayaking - $895 additional. Please sign up at the time of booking as space is extremely limiited.
- Citizen Science - Included
- Photography - Included
ALL ANTARCTIC VOYAGES INCLUDE:
PRIOR TO DEPARTURE:
- Two pre-voyage hotel nights in Ushuaia for all departures which embark in Ushuaia
- For the Nov 3, 2021 and Nov 1, 2022 departures only: One pre-voyage hotel night* in Puerto Madryn
- *These departures also include a post-voyage hotel night in Ushuaia
- Transfer from airport in embarkation city to group hotel if arriving on Day 1 of itinerary, and providing we have your confirmed air itinerary at least 60 days prior to departure
- Transfer from group hotel to ship for embarkation
ON BOARD ISLAND SKY AND SEAVENTURE:
- Shipboard accommodations
- All meals on board
- All alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages (some super premium brands excluded)
- Coffee/Tea/Cocoa 24 hours a day
- All scheduled landings and excursions
- Our Citizen Science program: participation in a variety of scientific activities that support important research projects
- Expedition jacket (yours to keep)
- A pair of loaner boots for use during the voyage
- WiFi from the public computers
- 200 MB WiFi card for use on your personal devices
- Daily international news service
- All port fees
- All landing fees
- Digital Voyage Log
- Group transfer from ship to airport, hotel in Ushuaia, or central location following disembarkation.
- Please note we cannot drop at Airbnb / private homes which are often inaccessible for our transfer vehicles.
- For the Nov 3 2021 and Nov 1 2022 departures only, one post-voyage hotel night in Ushuaia.
VOYAGES DO NOT INCLUDE:
- Any airfare or travel expenses associated with arrival in Ushuaia or Puerto Madryn other than those listed above
- Transfer from airport to group hotel, unless arriving on Day 1 of the itinerary
- On the Nov 3, 2021 and Nov 1, 2022 voyages, departure transfer from hotel to airport in Ushuaia
- Pre- or post-voyage expenses in Ushuaia or Puerto Madryn
- Travel insurance; medical insurance; evacuation coverage
- Laundry and personal expenses incurred on board
- Onboard communication charges such as outgoing phone calls, WiFi from personal devices in excess of the 200 MB provided
- Staff gratuities
The beautiful MS Seaventure boasts a 1-A Super ice class rating, top ice class honors among vessels designed for passenger travel. Thoughtfully designed, the MS Seaventure offers exterior facing rooms, some even including balconies. The common areas aboard the ship are thoughtfully designed to offer beautiful, calming and collaborative spaces. Some passenger favorite features include the Citizen Science lab, fitness center, library, sauna and heated saltwater pool on the top deck!
- Passengers: 164*
- Crew: 90 (includes Staff)
- Built by: Mitsubishi Shipyard, Kobe (Japan)
- Built in: 1990
- Reimagined: 2019
- Refurbished: Spring 2021
- Manager: RsR Nemo Ship Management, Cyprus
- Registered in: Limassol, Cyprus
- Length: 111,5 m
- Width: 17,0 m
- Tonnage: 6 752 GRT
- Class: B.V. Ice Class 1A Super (highest available)
- Stabilization: Retractable-type Fin Stabilizers (11 m2 ea)
*To enhance our guest experience, we carry a maximum of 139 passengers. In an effort to accommodate rebooking preferences, some voyages may carry up to 149
- Two Elevators serving all passenger decks
- Library with computers
- Fitness Center and Sauna
- Heated salt-water swimming pool
- Citizen Science Laboratory
All Staterooms Feature:
- Exterior views
- Sitting area with chairs or sofa and table
- Complimentary Mini-Bar
- Flat Screen TV
- Safe to store your valuables
- Independent temperature controls
- Luxury toiletries
- Hair dryer