Expedition to Cross the Antarctic Circle
Venture further than most on this 15-day expedition to cross the Antarctic Circle and reach as far as 66°33’S. En route, you’ll have the opportunity to explore the ruggedly beautiful coastlines of the South Shetland Islands and cruise through the majestic bays and channels of the Antarctic Peninsula. Accompanied by a team of Polar Experts, you’ll be immersed in the great white continent’s natural and human history on an adventure you’ll never forget.
Mornings on Board the MS Seaventure
Images & Videos
Fly into Ushuaia with plenty of time to relax and overcome any jet lag, as well as accommodate flight delays or cancellations. You’ll be staying at the beautiful Arakur Resort & Spa, which is spectacularly positioned overlooking the dramatic coastline to the east of downtown Ushuaia.
Enjoy a leisurely breakfast at the resort before spending the day as you please. You may opt to venture into Ushuaia to explore its museums and Argentinian leather markets or just soak up the views from the Arakur Resort & Spa’s indulgent jacuzzis. In the evening, there will be an optional meeting where you can raise any questions you may have about the trip in the company of your fellow travelers.
Embarkation in Ushuaia
Wake for your final morning in Ushuaia before our mid-afternoon transfer to the MS Seaventure where you’ll be welcomed by our Expedition Team. Settle into your cabin and get acquainted with the vessel before a short safety briefing. This will be followed by the Captain’s welcome dinner, giving you an opportunity to meet your traveling companions.
Separating South America from the South Shetland Islands, the Drake Passage is an immense body of water that will be our setting for the next two days. To accompany your journey, our Polar Experts will be hosting a series of lectures about a variety of Antarctic-related topics and there will be an opportunity to participate in our Citizen Science program. You may also opt to just relax on deck and watch the seabirds following the ship as we arrive into the (noticeably chillier) waters of Antarctica.
South Shetland Islands
Ruggedly beautiful and abundant in wildlife, the South Shetland Islands are a natural treasure, located around 120 kilometers north of the Antarctic Peninsula. Spend a full day exploring their incredible coastlines by Zodiac while hearing stories of the humans who have ventured here.
After crossing the Bransfield Strait that separates the South Shetland Islands from Antarctica, we’ll make our way towards the Antarctic Circle. There will be celebrations on board as we reach the most southerly point of our expedition, accessing territory that few have the privilege to witness. It’s then time to head north to explore the majestic harbors and channels of the Antarctic Peninsula.
Over the next few days, we’ll cruise between the immense glaciers and icebergs that dot the waters of the Antarctic Peninsula. Daily Zodiac trips will get you up close to the continent’s seals and penguins, as well as enabling you to step foot on historic landing sites. There may also be the opportunity to visit some of the Antarctic Peninsula’s active scientific bases to learn about their current research projects.
It’s time to say “goodbye” to Antarctica as we make the return journey north across the Drake Passage en route to Ushuaia. On your last night on board, we’ll screen a slideshow featuring stand-out moments from the expedition and host a farewell dinner in celebration.
Disembarkation in Ushuaia
Your journey comes to an end as we arrive back in Ushuaia and you disembark the MS Seaventure in the morning. This will allow you to catch a flight back to Buenos Aires on the same day or continue onwards with your adventures in Patagonia.
Dates & Rates
Activities During Voyage
- Kayaking - $895 additional. Please sign up at the time of booking as space is extremely limiited.
- Citizen Science - Included
- Photography - Included
ALL ANTARCTIC VOYAGES INCLUDE:
PRIOR TO DEPARTURE:
- Two pre-voyage hotel nights in Ushuaia for all departures which embark in Ushuaia
- For the Nov 3, 2021 and Nov 1, 2022 departures only: One pre-voyage hotel night* in Puerto Madryn
- *These departures also include a post-voyage hotel night in Ushuaia
- Transfer from airport in embarkation city to group hotel if arriving on Day 1 of itinerary, and providing we have your confirmed air itinerary at least 60 days prior to departure
- Transfer from group hotel to ship for embarkation
ON BOARD ISLAND SKY AND SEAVENTURE:
- Shipboard accommodations
- All meals on board
- All alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages (some super premium brands excluded)
- Coffee/Tea/Cocoa 24 hours a day
- All scheduled landings and excursions
- Our Citizen Science program: participation in a variety of scientific activities that support important research projects
- Expedition jacket (yours to keep)
- A pair of loaner boots for use during the voyage
- WiFi from the public computers
- 200 MB WiFi card for use on your personal devices
- Daily international news service
- All port fees
- All landing fees
- Digital Voyage Log
- Group transfer from ship to airport, hotel in Ushuaia, or central location following disembarkation.
- Please note we cannot drop at Airbnb / private homes which are often inaccessible for our transfer vehicles.
- For the Nov 3 2021 and Nov 1 2022 departures only, one post-voyage hotel night in Ushuaia.
VOYAGES DO NOT INCLUDE:
- Any airfare or travel expenses associated with arrival in Ushuaia or Puerto Madryn other than those listed above
- Transfer from airport to group hotel, unless arriving on Day 1 of the itinerary
- On the Nov 3, 2021 and Nov 1, 2022 voyages, departure transfer from hotel to airport in Ushuaia
- Pre- or post-voyage expenses in Ushuaia or Puerto Madryn
- Travel insurance; medical insurance; evacuation coverage
- Laundry and personal expenses incurred on board
- Onboard communication charges such as outgoing phone calls, WiFi from personal devices in excess of the 200 MB provided
- Staff gratuities
The beautiful MS Seaventure boasts a 1-A Super ice class rating, top ice class honors among vessels designed for passenger travel. Thoughtfully designed, the MS Seaventure offers exterior facing rooms, some even including balconies. The common areas aboard the ship are thoughtfully designed to offer beautiful, calming and collaborative spaces. Some passenger favorite features include the Citizen Science lab, fitness center, library, sauna and heated saltwater pool on the top deck!
- Passengers: 164*
- Crew: 90 (includes Staff)
- Built by: Mitsubishi Shipyard, Kobe (Japan)
- Built in: 1990
- Reimagined: 2019
- Refurbished: Spring 2021
- Manager: RsR Nemo Ship Management, Cyprus
- Registered in: Limassol, Cyprus
- Length: 111,5 m
- Width: 17,0 m
- Tonnage: 6 752 GRT
- Class: B.V. Ice Class 1A Super (highest available)
- Stabilization: Retractable-type Fin Stabilizers (11 m2 ea)
*To enhance our guest experience, we carry a maximum of 139 passengers. In an effort to accommodate rebooking preferences, some voyages may carry up to 149
- Two Elevators serving all passenger decks
- Library with computers
- Fitness Center and Sauna
- Heated salt-water swimming pool
- Citizen Science Laboratory
All Staterooms Feature:
- Exterior views
- Sitting area with chairs or sofa and table
- Complimentary Mini-Bar
- Flat Screen TV
- Safe to store your valuables
- Independent temperature controls
- Luxury toiletries
- Hair dryer