Join us for a holiday season you’ll never forget on this 13-day expedition to Antarctica. Perfectly scheduled to be in the great white continent for Christmas, this action-packed cruise will take you to the breathtakingly beautiful South Shetland Islands before arriving in the channels and bays of the Antarctic Peninsula. Spot penguins, seals, and whales along your journey while discovering the fascinating history of human exploration in the region.
Visiting a Penguin Colony in Antarctica
Images & Videos
Your adventure begins as you arrive in Ushuaia, the world’s southernmost city, where you’ll be staying at the beautiful Arakur Resort & Spa. Take time to relax and overcome any jet lag or head into downtown Ushuaia to explore.
After breakfast at the Arakur Resort & Spa, you can spend the day as you please - exploring the cultural museums and leather markets of Ushuaia or simply relaxing at the hotel. In the evening, there will be an optional briefing where you’ll have the opportunity to meet your fellow travelers and raise any questions or concerns you may have.
Embarkation in Ushuaia
Before your mid-afternoon transfer to the ship, you’ll have the morning free to explore Ushuaia or enjoy the comforts of the resort. On arrival at the vessel, you’ll be met by our Expedition Team and have a short safety briefing before being officially welcomed during the Captain’s dinner.
Over the next two days, we’ll be navigating the famous Drake Passage, which separates South America's Cape Horn and the South Shetland Islands. Our Polar Experts will lead a series of informative lectures about Antarctica, touching on its wildlife, geology, and human history. You may choose to simply relax onboard or participate in our Citizen Science Program. Spot whales and seabirds as they follow the ship’s passage, with temperatures noticeably cooler as we cross the Antarctic Convergence.
South Shetland Islands
Located around 120 kilometers north of the Antarctic Peninsula, the South Shetland Islands will be our destination for the next two days. Settle into one of our Zodiacs to explore the rugged coastline up close, with sightings of the archipelago’s magnificent wildlife guaranteed.
On Day 8, you’ll wake to the breathtaking beauty of the Antarctic Peninsula and spend time cruising its majestic bays, natural harbors, and narrow channels. You’ll have the opportunity to come face-to-face with seals and several species of penguins and may be lucky enough to spot whales breaching in the chilly waters. In addition to its wildlife abundance, the peninsula is renowned for its scientific bases where research is conducted by teams from across the globe.
Over the next two days, we will again cross the Drake Passage as we make the return journey to Ushuaia. Kick back on deck with a good book as you watch the world go by before a slideshow and farewell meal to celebrate your Antarctic expedition.
Disembarkation in Ushuaia
By morning, we will have arrived back in Ushuaia, from where you can fly directly back to Buenos Aires or spend more time discovering everything Patagonia has to offer.
Dates & Rates
|Dates||Adult (USD)||Child (USD)|
|Dec 19, 2022 to Dec 31, 2022 |
Rates vary by cabin, please inquire for exact pricing
Activities During Voyage
- Kayaking - $895 additional. Please sign up at the time of booking as space is extremely limited.
- Camping - $295 additional. Please sign up at the time of booking as space is extremely limited.
- Citizen Science - Included
- Photography - Included
ALL ANTARCTIC VOYAGES INCLUDE:
PRIOR TO DEPARTURE:
- Two pre-voyage hotel nights in Ushuaia for all departures which embark in Ushuaia
- For the Nov 3, 2021 and Nov 1, 2022 departures only: One pre-voyage hotel night* in Puerto Madryn
- *These departures also include a post-voyage hotel night in Ushuaia
- Transfer from airport in embarkation city to group hotel if arriving on Day 1 of itinerary, and providing we have your confirmed air itinerary at least 60 days prior to departure
- Transfer from group hotel to ship for embarkation
ON BOARD ISLAND SKY AND SEAVENTURE:
- Shipboard accommodations
- All meals on board
- All alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages (some super premium brands excluded)
- Coffee/Tea/Cocoa 24 hours a day
- All scheduled landings and excursions
- Our Citizen Science program: participation in a variety of scientific activities that support important research projects
- Expedition jacket (yours to keep)
- A pair of loaner boots for use during the voyage
- WiFi from the public computers
- 200 MB WiFi card for use on your personal devices
- Daily international news service
- All port fees
- All landing fees
- Digital Voyage Log
- Group transfer from ship to airport, hotel in Ushuaia, or central location following disembarkation.
- Please note we cannot drop at Airbnb / private homes which are often inaccessible for our transfer vehicles.
- For the Nov 3 2021 and Nov 1 2022 departures only, one post-voyage hotel night in Ushuaia.
VOYAGES DO NOT INCLUDE:
- Any airfare or travel expenses associated with arrival in Ushuaia or Puerto Madryn other than those listed above
- Transfer from airport to group hotel, unless arriving on Day 1 of the itinerary
- On the Nov 3, 2021 and Nov 1, 2022 voyages, departure transfer from hotel to airport in Ushuaia
- Pre- or post-voyage expenses in Ushuaia or Puerto Madryn
- Travel insurance; medical insurance; evacuation coverage
- Laundry and personal expenses incurred on board
- Onboard communication charges such as outgoing phone calls, WiFi from personal devices in excess of the 200 MB provided
- Staff gratuities
The beautiful MS Seaventure boasts a 1-A Super ice class rating, top ice class honors among vessels designed for passenger travel. Thoughtfully designed, the MS Seaventure offers exterior facing rooms, some even including balconies. The common areas aboard the ship are thoughtfully designed to offer beautiful, calming and collaborative spaces. Some passenger favorite features include the Citizen Science lab, fitness center, library, sauna and heated saltwater pool on the top deck!
- Passengers: 164*
- Crew: 90 (includes Staff)
- Built by: Mitsubishi Shipyard, Kobe (Japan)
- Built in: 1990
- Reimagined: 2019
- Refurbished: Spring 2021
- Manager: RsR Nemo Ship Management, Cyprus
- Registered in: Limassol, Cyprus
- Length: 111,5 m
- Width: 17,0 m
- Tonnage: 6 752 GRT
- Class: B.V. Ice Class 1A Super (highest available)
- Stabilization: Retractable-type Fin Stabilizers (11 m2 ea)
*To enhance our guest experience, we carry a maximum of 139 passengers. In an effort to accommodate rebooking preferences, some voyages may carry up to 149
- Two Elevators serving all passenger decks
- Library with computers
- Fitness Center and Sauna
- Heated salt-water swimming pool
- Citizen Science Laboratory
All Staterooms Feature:
- Exterior views
- Sitting area with chairs or sofa and table
- Complimentary Mini-Bar
- Flat Screen TV
- Safe to store your valuables
- Independent temperature controls
- Luxury toiletries
- Hair dryer